Maybe it seems that I’m too critical with everything, but I just like to make things better. I was critical to the Blender internal renderer earlier and I still believe that it is slow and outdated, but the picture below was just a test render while I was learning the modeling tools, primarly focused on working with real sizes and numeric input.
And I have to say that I like it. I made in the summer, so I will upload some new stuff soon (I love organic modeling in Blender, so I started to make tons of vegetables and fruits).
Just a small test, do not take it too serious…
I didn’t pay too much attention on colors; the VRay render was over saturated, the Cycles ones needed additional saturation.
Unfortunately I was not able to test VRay on a ‘real usage’ resolution (it was a Maya demo).
If you are interested, visit this site!
I just made a small comparison of rendered images in Cycles with different sample values, then I used NeatImage Standalone demo to remove noise with different settings (you can recognize that I used stronger reduction on the 300 samples image, so details are more ‘washed out’).
Although worrying too much about ‘noise’ is mostly typical for the ‘tech-maniac type’ CGI or photography guys, I think it could show the power of noise-filtering as a post-processing step and it could be useful for everybody.
It doesn’t just saves time; it also saves electricity (it has effects on your budget and on the environment both).
– download the images and compare them in 1:1 ratio (on the native resolution of your screen)
– I didn’t used any filtering on the 500 sample render; I used it as a reference
– removing the noise in NeatImage required about 15-20 sec per image (could be batched).
Actually it is a draft for an idea and also some test for Suicidator City Generator, Blender’s built-in tree modeler and ‘Array’ modifier.
I sent this image as a draft to some friends of mine, but some of them identified it as just a typical graveyard.
It means 2 things:
1. People don’t like metaphors:)
2. And I have to recompose the final version of the picture to make it more obvious.
I used Blender for everything. Rendered with Cycles.
The ‘FIRST CONTACT’ memorial park in the future (hopefully)…
Originally this scene was not planned to ‘be a scene’; I just wanted to check how useful could be the ‘sculpting’ feature of Blender. I wanted to make some kind of amoeba-like organism, which – as you see – completely succeeded. Continue reading →